Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

AWD vs RWD

Steady

Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Telluride
I'm ordering a 2022 GT2 next week. Is there any reason to spend $2,000 and get AWD? My GT2 will be garaged in Wisconsin during the Winter months since we drive our Telluride to Florida in October and drive back in June. All I know is that AWD will add some weight to the car and might be slightly quicker from 0-60.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Congratulations on your order, If you're not going to drive your car in the snow there's no reason to get AWD unless your going to be taking it down a 1/4 mile. I have RWD an love it, I grew up with RWD cars so I prefer that model..

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
I like the AWD always puts the power down no matter what even on damp roads.

Is it necessary though no not at all. Obviously like you said it adds weight, and it probably sucks a mile per gallon off.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I have the (‘18) GT2 AWD, but I drive it year around. If I didn’t need AWD, I’d take RWD every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger GT1
I'm ordering a 2022 GT2 next week. Is there any reason to spend $2,000 and get AWD? My GT2 will be garaged in Wisconsin during the Winter months since we drive our Telluride to Florida in October and drive back in June. All I know is that AWD will add some weight to the car and might be slightly quicker from 0-60.
From everything I can find online the awd is not faster in any way than the same trim level of the rwd. I drove through light snow and a mix of rain today in my rwd GT1 with no issues for about 20 miles one way. This included both street and highway. Just drive with caution in adverse weather and you'll be fine. Plus mine still has the stock summer tires. Snow in this city mid March is unheard of btw. But still it never lost traction. I have a Telluride too....Well the wife does. I almost took it to work today but I wanted to see what this car can and can't do instead of assuming. After today it'll take far worse than I can ever image happening in this city to stop me from driving it. If you aren't driving on basically ice I'd say get the rwd. Besides this whole car was designed around rwd. 3.3 rwd Stinger is the only way to go. You may want to look into the drive by wire feature that only the GT2 has. That's the only reason why I went with the GT1. Test drive both in automatic and manual mode then see which one works better for your driving style.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
The great news is that you won’t go wrong with either choice. If you end up getting the AWD, it’s rear biased and frankly in sports mode, feels like a RWD car 90% of the time. It only feels like AWD in maximum speed launched due to better traction, and in snow, where with either winter or all season tires, it’s a real champ. I’d still go for the RWD in your shoes, but at least either way, you’ll love this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
You live in Florida, so if you're not planning on moving to the snow belt where AWD and A/S tires are a must, then I'd say RWD.

RWD is faster in the dry and will save you $2,200.

ChaneRZ

Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT RWD
RWD

Reactions
City
Mccormick
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2
I have had RWD GT2 for two years and have not had situation that AWD would have been needed.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
The Stinger AWD only works below 60 kph anyway.

Great for snow traction

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
Awesome for snow traction.

Never buying a RWD vehicle again.

Reactions
City
Mccormick
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2
I guess it depends where you will operate the vehicle. I get go anywhere near salt on the streets