Welcome to the #1 Genesis G70 Forum and Genesis G70 community dedicated to Genesis G70 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G70 Forum today!

Catback Exhaust Confusion

Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hello everyone! :)

Hope we're all being safe and sound during this really serious coronavirus outbreak. I have a very noobish question or two. I've been doing research and watching videos on this subject matter but am getting very confused about different brands and different methods of installation.

Thank you all btw! :D

Here are my questions:

1 - If I add a catback exhaust to my 2020 Stinger GT (RWD) is there any risk to damaging the vehicle? I understand that warranty can be denied if they can link a modification to causing the issue, but at the same time, could there be bad codes thrown or check engine lights or any leaks? Will I have to worry about any exhaust leek or boost leak or issues with the catalytic converter?

2 - What is the most reliable and trusted name and brand for a catback exhaust that I can add to the car? My goal is to have an exhaust that does NOT reduce any performance or fuel economy. The main goal is improving the sound both on idle and full throttle, but, if there is any improvement due to perhaps the exhaust being of lighter material that is a plus. These aftermarket exhausts are normally lighter correct?

3 - Will I need to do anything such as tuning the car for the new catback exhaust or adjusting any parts? I don't seem to understand whether or not my car has "valves" that open and close in different drive modes. Would these be affected by the aftermarket exhaust?

4 - Would adding exhaust tips to the catback exhaust have any issues? Or should I first just install the catback exhaust and see from there?

5 - Any other tips or advice the forums would suggest for me? I will be installing it with some friends in a driveway with the vehicle on jack stands. Let me know the risks or if this is a big bad idea.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States

Hope we're all being safe and sound during this really serious coronavirus outbreak. I have a very noobish question or two. I've been doing research and watching videos on this subject matter but am getting very confused about different brands and different methods of installation.

Here are my questions:

1 - If I add a catback exhaust to my 2020 Stinger GT (RWD) is there any risk to damaging the vehicle? I understand that warranty can be denied if they can link a modification to causing the issue, but at the same time, could there be bad codes thrown or check engine lights or any leaks? Will I have to worry about any exhaust leek or boost leak or issues with the catalytic converter?

2 - What is the most reliable and trusted name and brand for a catback exhaust that I can add to the car? My goal is to have an exhaust that does NOT reduce any performance or fuel economy. The main goal is improving the sound both on idle and full throttle, but, if there is any improvement due to perhaps the exhaust being of lighter material that is a plus. These aftermarket exhausts are normally lighter correct?

3 - Will I need to do anything such as tuning the car for the new catback exhaust or adjusting any parts? I don't seem to understand whether or not my car has "valves" that open and close in different drive modes. Would these be affected by the aftermarket exhaust?

4 - Would adding exhaust tips to the catback exhaust have any issues? Or should I first just install the catback exhaust and see from there?

5 - Any other tips or advice the forums would suggest for me? I will be installing it with some friends in a driveway with the vehicle on jack stands. Let me know the risks or if this is a big bad idea.
Go to a Coffee & Cars, Stinger meets/ cruises etc. In your area and listen to the different exhausts on other Stingers

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States

Here are my questions:

#1 No. You shouldn’t worry about adding a catback exhaust. It’s when you add a catless downpipe that it might be of concern.

#2 If you want one of the most trusted and reliable, it might be Borla. A very well known and respected brand. Their exhausts are usually lighter than factory, but I imagine most aftermarket exhausts are. I went with MBRP. Absolutely love it on idle and at full throttle. No tin can fart pipes sound

#3 North American Stingers don’t come with the dual mode exhaust option that other markets get. Most other markets have stock exhausts that are much quieter than the stock North American exhaust. No tune needed with a catback.

#4 A lot of people add aftermarket tips to negate any drone introduced by aftermarket catback exhaust. Some with the MBRP do an exhaust wrap shoved into the exhaust tip cutout and apparently that takes care of any drone on throttle tip in

#5 If doing the exhaust install with friends in your driveway, get ramps. Having the rear end on stands while pushing and pulling on the exhaust is dangerous.

Have fun choosing and good luck

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Agree with @CKeeler, in regards the question 2, Some exhaust are going to sound alot louder then others so choose a exhaust that sounds good to you.. Definitely use ramps, a lot safer..

Reactions
I would like to think that i did enough homework before choosing - 2019 GT1, went with MBRP cat back system. Much more ‘growl’ with zero drone. I would say that someone with very little mechanical knowledge could get it done but definitely ask questions and make sure you know what you’re doing if you are NOT mechanically inclined. I am and i was able to swap it out by myself (not recommended) and without ramps. A partner and/or ramps will make it MUCH easier. Good luck, let us know if you have any questions along the way

OP
W
Reactions
City
USA
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Thank you very much everyone! I really appreciate the help, advice, and information! :)