Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Metallic Clank Sound

Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Good Day All,

I have a 2020 AWD GT1 with approximately 1250 miles on it.
When I’m going around 40mph or higher and go over a moderately sized bump/joint crack in the road where the rear of the car hops/goes straight up and down I am hear a metallic clank sound.
I have not heard it if only one rear tire hits a nice size bump; it has to be both tires.
While driving on somewhat less bumpy roads, the car is relatively quit.
I checked the spare and battery area with both of those items being tight.
The exhaust seems pretty tight.
Not sure if my car is experiencing the infamous rear hatch issues which I thought were fixed by now?
I have a dealer visit this Thursday, but was looking for some possible opinions from you.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What’s the psi on your rear tires? I remember seeing someone had that exact problem and the psi was at like 50 still from the dealer. They said it went away after it was aired down to the correct pressure

OP
Glen1023
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #3
I keep the pressure per what the door plate says, and that would 38psi in the front and 36psi in the back.
I have had the car since 2/2020 and check my tire pressure once a week, but thank you for the suggestion.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
And everything in the spare tire area has sufficient force on it so that it won’t move? Do you have car seats in the back?

OP
Glen1023
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #5
And everything in the spare tire area has sufficient force on it so that it won’t move? Do you have car seats in the back?
No, I do not have car seats in the back.
The sound seems to be coming at the rear of the car.

OP
Glen1023
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #6
I messed with the two rubber stoppers on either side of the hatch and unscrewed them practically all the way out which seems to have worked.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Take the alignment bracket of the rear hatch an put washers under them then screw those rubber bump stops all the way in & turn out 1 1/4 turns....

OP
Glen1023
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #8
Take the alignment bracket of the rear hatch an put washers under them then screw those rubber bump stops all the way in & turn out 1 1/4 turns....
Thank you for the instructions on what to do.

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Pearl Stinger GT-line 2.5L AWD
I had this in both my stingers... 2019 and 2020... it's coming from the console area 100%
Both cars have this rattle knocking type sound coming right from that area... where the thermostat controls are.
Any hints folks?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I had this in both my stingers... 2019 and 2020... it's coming from the console area 100%
Both cars have this rattle knocking type sound coming right from that area... where the thermostat controls are.
Any hints folks?
Could be an adapter isn’t fastened down. So it’s moving like coins in your cup holder

OP
Glen1023
Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #11
I think after sometime has gone by, I think I have pinpointed where the noise is coming from which is the rear passenger seat; driver side rear is fine while up.
After dropping the seat and driving around in and around my neighborhood, the sounds that I have heard are gone when the seat is up.
I’ll assume the noise while the seat up is coming from the rear seat latch mechanism, and when I go over a moderately sized bump there is some movement.