Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Smart cruise control

OnnoP

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Italy
What I Drive
2018 AWD GT(2)
That would almost be a reason not to buy the car….
I only use the smart mode in traffic jam or road-works. During normal driving it is extremely annoying to me and anyone following me since it brakes/decelerates too soon

Reactions
City
Perth
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT
I don't use cruise control anymore but SCC makes normal CC redundant. There's no need for both.

KIA did the right thing.

OnnoP

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Italy
What I Drive
2018 AWD GT(2)
Probably depends on the country you live in and/or the traffic density. The more traffic the more useless SCC is imho.
With low traffic and ‘keep your lane’ system and little speed difference it is probably perfect.

OP
K

krazy04c5

Reactions
City
mays landing
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 stinger gt2
Thread Starter #24
My experience is that here in the northeast you can be doing 70-75 leaving proper space and someone will go to fill that space and the SCC jams on the brakes hard. That can be an accident waiting to happen. It may be redundant but i see SCC being there for people who dont pay attention to cars around them. Just another example of people trusting computers instead of being responsible for their actions.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
I have only used SCC a handful of times in 4 years, to be honest. The only times I've found it useful were those rare times I'm stuck in slow-moving traffic, like when people are rubbernecking an accident.

Other than that, I don't much care for it. People here will quickly jump in between you and the car ahead if there's enough space; this of course makes the system freak out and brake hard. And that's definitely not good when you have someone riding your bumper at 70, who's very likely not paying attention.

FieroAlex

Reactions
City
Ontario
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
none
Sorry for bumping up an old topic but this is the only post that I can find talking about this situation. I am seriously considering the purchase of a 22 and cruise control is a must for me as I drive a lot and long distances. Has this issue been resolved? Are the 22's still blocked to "smart cruise control" or can it now be disabled and regular cruise can be used? This might impact my plans.

OP
K

krazy04c5

Reactions
City
mays landing
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 stinger gt2
Thread Starter #27
As far as i know they have not changed it. You can only use the SCC.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

FieroAlex

Reactions
City
Ontario
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
none
As far as i know they have not changed it. You can only use the SCC.
Thanks for the heads up. How intrusive do you find the smart cruise system and how problematic is in on the highway? I often drive 7hr journeys on busy 2 lane highways and the thought of it aggressively braking out of no where is scary. It also sounds like you have no control over it?

I'd like to find a 21 but with the current market I'd be paying a lot more for a used 21 than if I order and wait for a new 22

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
I have an '18 model and the only time the SCC bothers me is when it's blocked due to ice...

But I can easily switch to standard dumb cruise control and carry on cruising (commuting to and from work).

It would suck not being able to switch between modes

Please don't tell me a shouldn't use cruise control in inclamate weather, I do, and will continue to use it :)

20220202_195124.jpg 20220202_195132.jpg

OP
K

krazy04c5

Reactions
City
mays landing
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 stinger gt2
Thread Starter #31
It takes a bit of use to figure it out. If there is a fair amount of traffic it will drive you nuts. Open road and light traffic its okay. The biggest problem i have is if you set it for the shortest distance between cars it still leaves too much room so sometimes people cut in front of you and thats when it brakes hard. You can adjust the distance on the steering wheel and it adjusts by speed. I am constantly cancelling and restarting it. Total pain in the ass.

Reactions
City
Deptford
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia stinger premium
In inclement weather I would cheer when I got the warning that the sensors were blocked. I’m driving the car; the car isn’t driving me. Not having the ability to defeat this system is just wrong. Even morally. And as I was purchasing the car from the dealership the employee there kept raving at how awesome the SCC is. I told her straight up it sucked and it will be turned off asap. I guess I just to won’t be using any cruise control until an update.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1