Welcome to the #1 Genesis G70 Forum and Genesis G70 community dedicated to Genesis G70 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G70 Forum today!

What’s the most you can performance mod without tuning?

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
I’m not sure if I want to do a tune. I’m wondering if there’s a good reason I should other than speed.

For example if I keep adding things, will I eventually get a CEL or does it explode or something? Lol..

Current performance mods: MBRP Pro Series exhaust, Eibach anti-roll sway-bars, Direct Fit Mishimoto OCC, Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air, K&N drop in filters.

Wishlist mods: aftermarket intercooler, secondary dp’s, possible K&N intake (if they ever come back in stock and depending on how I like the drop ins).

Mods I’ve yet to research: Meth injection & jb4 tune, break petal switch.

[Aesthetic mods not included in this list]

Car- RWD GT2 Stinger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Speed and power would be the only reason to go with a tune or piggyback. You'll get a little extra oomph with mods alone but a tune or piggyback will work with them and really raise the bar. I added intakes, dp's and catback first, and according to my dragy, I went from 13.3 in the 1/4 to 12.7. I then picked up a jb4 which allowed me to run E30 and I dropped another .5 seconds and picked up 7 mph. There's way more in it but I'm limited by lack of traction at this point.

If you don't want to go the tune or piggyback route, you could also buy a throttle controller. They don't add any power but they do remove throttle lag and make you FEEL far quicker.

OP
MattiePattie
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #3
Speed and power would be the only reason to go with a tune or piggyback. You'll get a little extra oomph with mods alone but a tune or piggyback will work with them and really raise the bar. I added intakes, dp's and catback first, and according to my dragy, I went from 13.3 in the 1/4 to 12.7. I then picked up a jb4 which allowed me to run E30 and I dropped another .5 seconds and picked up 7 mph. There's way more in it but I'm limited by lack of traction at this point.

If you don't want to go the tune or piggyback route, you could also buy a throttle controller. They don't add any power but they do remove throttle lag and make you FEEL far quicker.
Interesting. Thank you. I’m gonna add throttle controller to my mods research list. Are you traction limited rn due to tire type?

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Interesting. Thank you. I’m gonna add throttle controller to my mods research list. Are you traction limited rn due to tire type?

That, plus I'm RWD too. I've gone through 4 sets of rear tires in less than 50k miles. 🥺

If you're going to consider throttle controllers, check out the Windbooster. They all work basically the same but that one is almost always on sale.

OP
MattiePattie
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #5
That, plus I'm RWD too. I've gone through 4 sets of rear tires in less than 50k miles. 🥺

If you're going to consider throttle controllers, check out the Windbooster. They all work basically the same but that one is almost always on sale.
It’s been a few months and I’m just about done with bolt on stuff. Kinda wanna go with lap 3 1.5 ecu tune.

Deviate

Reactions
City
Venice
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 stinger premium
If you're concerned about warranty coverage, look into a piggyback. Quick removal for any dealer service. (Recalls or whatever you may take it in for) Jb4 seems to be the norm due to all its capabilities and support. Easy install and removal.

I know for me though my next tune upgrade will be a Lap3 Pro tuner. Still an easy in and out.

Seems like you've done your research though.

Just my 2cents

jamorgan4

Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger
It’s been a few months and I’m just about done with bolt on stuff. Kinda wanna go with lap 3 1.5 ecu tune.
It's been a month since your last update, I was wondering what happened with this build.

OP
MattiePattie
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #8
…I was wondering what happened with this build.
Its still Going and a total blast! Ive been posting most updates on IG. Probably going to just post a walk around video on YT soon because the list has gotten quite long. Here’s my socials LinkTree but most stuff is on IG https://linktr.ee/LoneStarStinger