Welcome to the #1 Genesis G70 Forum and Genesis G70 community dedicated to Genesis G70 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G70 Forum today!

ATTENTION : Brake rotors and warranty

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
@Alpha_Sting1 looking good.

@derek0609 make sure you bed in the brakes properly to prevent the issue form coming back as quick. Did they replaced the pads as well?
Old pads. I’ve always understood the best way to bed in new rotors is to use them gently over the first few hundred miles, not getting them too hot and letting them cool gently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
that is the opposite of the proper bedding procedure.

When following these instructions, avoid other vehicles. Bedding is best done when traffic is light, as other drivers will have no idea what you are up to and may respond in a variety of ways ranging from fear to curiosity to aggression. A police officer will probably not sympathize when you try to explain why you were driving erratically! Use common sense!
  1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 20 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph, then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely, with your foot on the brake pedal, pad material will be imprinted onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a few minutes, using the brakes as little as possible to allow them to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.
  5. If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC11 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 20 mph.
After the break-in cycle, there should be a slight blue tint and a light gray film on each rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #83
Appreciate it Spider n Rob

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OP
Alpha_Sting1
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #84
Well folks, I'm starting to worry about this entire braking system just being cursed as last night under the 1st real hard break at higher speeds I thought I felt some vibes. I didn't want to repeat just yet to confer as I didn't want to get pissed and drive Serenity off a cliff in Austin after I just purchased plugs & the JB4 the day before lol so... Maybe it was just in my mind (hopefully), we'll see tonight I suppose & report back.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I have an appointment for next Friday. The service manager I talked to said that turning the rotors is a waste of time the issue will come right back. Also thought it might be because of the pads so he will replace the pads and rotors.

But I think I have the best (of the worst) brakes. I'm now getting a loud squeak from the back brakes. This happens when the car is about to come to a complete stop under light braking. It's loud enough that people look :). Nice kia I'm sure they think

De Sting

Reactions
Is this a common problem? I hope it isn't because I read a report the other day and the reviewers also had to take their KIA Stinger to the dealer to get the rotors changed.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Is this a common problem? I hope it isn't because I read a report the other day and the reviewers also had to take their KIA Stinger to the dealer to get the rotors changed.
The dealer where I go has not heard of this issue. They didn't have rotors and brakes in stock which is why I had to wait a week for my appointment. The service manager wanted to have the brakes ready before he looked at it because based on my description of the issue he felt it was going to need brakes.

Well now I have two of them. I have a bigger sample size now :). The dealer where I bought mine was having a give away of a slightly used 3K miles 2018 GT2 and I won it on Monday. The brakes on the 2018 are fine no pulsing at all. My 19 GT1 had the shuddering by 1K miles. I guess it could be that the rotors on the 18 had been turned already. We'll see hopefully not

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
You won a stinger...awesome!!!!!!

It is a common problem, mine are getting replaced next week. Warped twice within 10k miles. But all first generation cars have some issues and Kia is taking care of it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2 AWD Cermaic/Red
Went last week for my brakes, no TSB as of yet. Dealer preordered new rotors and replaced no issues. They did not change pads so we will see.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
currently getting my "new and improved" rotors put on. stay tuned

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Went last week for my brakes, no TSB as of yet. Dealer preordered new rotors and replaced no issues. They did not change pads so we will see.
Interesting, my dealership contacted Kia and they told them to replace rotors and pads under warranty, I did not ask for the TSB but thought there was one.

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
i had the same issue @ somewhere around 16k. i brought the car in this past weekend (memorial day weekend) and was told it was warped rotors and not warrantied past 12k. while i was waiting i noticed this and many other discussions with this same issue. i brought to the service advisors attention this was a know issue and i felt it should be covered under the warranty. because of the holiday there was no service manager available and i was charged 4 hours of labor... about $400. the advisor stated consumer affairs should be contacted. is that something I should do or they should do?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT2 AWD Cermaic/Red
i had the same issue @ somewhere around 16k. i brought the car in this past weekend (memorial day weekend) and was told it was warped rotors and not warrantied past 12k. while i was waiting i noticed this and many other discussions with this same issue. i brought to the service advisors attention this was a know issue and i felt it should be covered under the warranty. because of the holiday there was no service manager available and i was charged 4 hours of labor... about $400. the advisor stated consumer affairs should be contacted. is that something I should do or they should do?
I would call the stinger hotline and your service manager that did the work.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Rotors should not be warping at 16k, I would make them reimburse you.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Call the KIA VIP line and have them reimburse you. We should not be having brake problems for at least 25k miles.

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Call the KIA VIP line and have them reimburse you. We should not be having brake problems for at least 25k miles.
Would that be the 855-454-2847 number?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
That's it

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
It's my guess they did not even bother to call Kia, pretty slack. I would also find out what they put on your car. My dealership told me that Kia requires them to use the Kia replacement rotors and pads.

I would ask others to weigh in but if they replaced your rotors and not the pads is that an issue? Like I said KIA is replacing both of mine.

Phil

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
i'm on with KIA VIP now, they are saying brakes and rotors are "wear Parts" and only covered by the 12k warranty. I explained this is a known issue and they claim no knowledge of a larger issue. Basically they said because its a sports car people tend to drive hard and cause these issues themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Rotors should not be warping at 16k, I would make them reimburse you.
nor at 2k or 9k which was my case. just got a text from SA saying my 3rd set of rotors are on and car is ready for pick up. anyone betting how long these will last?