Welcome to the #1 Genesis G70 Forum and Genesis G70 community dedicated to Genesis G70 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Genesis G70 Forum today!

The Piggyback Chip feedback, reviews, issues, diagnostic and questions thread

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
We've been in communication with Lap3 in Korea about the chip being used on the Stinger. That being said we've been told that this is a viable solution to misfiring.

I trust that they have looked into this or tested this and not just telling us as a band aid answer
Out of curiosity why did they not give you this information upfront? It sounds like you are running the Lap3 on the Stinger unsupported?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Out of curiosity why did they not give you this information upfront? It sounds like you are running the Lap3 on the Stinger unsupported?

I know their fuel quality is different then our fuel here in the States so that may be a factor.

Also the Stinger is a new platform that well... everyone is trying to figure out. I don?t think this is something related to ?not being up front? or running ?unsupported?. We stand behind Lap3 and the support they provide us to successfully provide a safe option for greater performance for the Stinger.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
I know their fuel quality is different then our fuel here in the States so that may be a factor.

Also the Stinger is a new platform that well... everyone is trying to figure out. I don?t think this is something related to ?not being up front? or running ?unsupported?. We stand behind Lap3 and the support they provide us to successfully provide a safe option for greater performance for the Stinger.
I guess to specify my question is, did Lap3 crest this technology for the Stinger, or are you selling Lap3 technology that was made for a different car/tune?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I guess to specify my question is, did Lap3 crest this technology for the Stinger, or are you selling Lap3 technology that was made for a different car/tune?

I assume you meant "test" this technology.

Yes this has been thoroughly tested by Lap3 Korea. There are TONS of dyno results made by Lap3 for both the 3.3TT and 2.0T.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I trust that they have looked into this or tested this and not just telling us as a band aid answer
Well they also told you that the plug upgrades weren't necessary. I'm not sure why you would believe them now since they've already given you bad info.

This sucks for the guys that were turned into guinea pigs for LAP3 R&D department.

Memphis

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Well they also told you that the plug upgrades weren't necessary. I'm not sure why you would believe them now since they've already given you bad info.

This sucks for the guys that were turned into guinea pigs for LAP3 R&D department.
Every person who is first to a platform and can?t wait for improvements or more information to be available are guinea pigs.

Happens with impatience. I have yet to see a platform that was new to the game NOT have problems up front with aftermarket support.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Initially yes, but you?re forgetting what I said previously. There are differences in gas quality between the different that can affect performance.

After reporting back to Lap3 having a few customers with issues they immediately come back with a solution for us.

This is not a situation of bad info at all. Like I said, Lap3 is HUGE and a well trust tuner in the KDM community. I trust the products they sell and the support they offer us when we provide feedback for them.

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
After reporting back to Lap3 having a few customers with issues they immediately come back with a solution for us.
I apologize if this has been answered already, can you give us a ballpark number of customers experiencing issues? Secondly did Lap3 offer these customers any discounts on $180 plugs for their troubles? Finally if someone purchased both Lap3 and the recommended plugs and still experience misfire can they get their full money back?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I apologize if this has been answered already, can you give us a ballpark number of customers experiencing issues? Secondly did Lap3 offer these customers any discounts on $180 plugs for their troubles? Finally if someone purchased both Lap3 and the recommended plugs and still experience misfire can they get their full money back?
I've only seen these reports on the forums here, a few of which have emailed us directly so this has affected less than 5 people. We have had zero reports from customers with the 2.0T using the Lap3 chip.

Lap3 nor K5 Optima Store/K8 Stinger Store is held responsible for damage done to a customer's motor. Unless stated otherwise this is true of just about ANY tuning company unless they have paired up with or have a deal with that manufacturer. We have it clearly listed on the website that there is risk in tuning and those getting into tuning should know this up front.

Again, tuning a vehicle carries risk therefore a refund on the chip and/or plugs would not be issued if a misfire occurred. I stand behind our tuner in the requirement to run these upgraded plugs to ensure a misfire does not happen.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Initially yes, but you?re forgetting what I said previously. There are differences in gas quality between the different that can affect performance.

This is not a situation of bad info at all. Like I said, Lap3 is HUGE and a well trust tuner in the KDM community. I trust the products they sell and the support they offer us when we provide feedback for them.
Someone posted a screenshot on the main Stinger forum from a Korean forum where a user still experienced a failure with the upgraded plugs, Korean fuel, and LAP3.

Just an FYI. Might want to be more cautious about advertising the plugs as a fix.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
There's a poll somewhere on this forum that addresses the question of how many are experiencing issues.

Roughly half of those who are using the chip and responded to the poll have had issues with their spark plugs.

(I mistakenly selected the "chipped with no problems" button. I meant to select the "not chipped no problems" so disregard one of the votes)

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I've only seen these reports on the forums here, a few of which have emailed us directly so this has affected less than 5 people. We have had zero reports from customers with the 2.0T using the Lap3 chip.

Lap3 nor K5 Optima Store/K8 Stinger Store is held responsible for damage done to a customer's motor. Unless stated otherwise this is true of just about ANY tuning company unless they have paired up with or have a deal with that manufacturer. We have it clearly listed on the website that there is risk in tuning and those getting into tuning should know this up front.

Again, tuning a vehicle carries risk therefore a refund on the chip and/or plugs would not be issued if a misfire occurred. I stand behind our tuner in the requirement to run these upgraded plugs to ensure a misfire does not happen.
Thanks for the candid response.

There's a poll somewhere on this forum that addresses the question of how many are experiencing issues.

Roughly half of those who are using the chip and responded to the poll have had issues with their spark plugs.

(I mistakenly selected the "chipped with no problems" button. I meant to select the "not chipped no problems" so disregard one of the votes)
I did see that poll and I appreciate that member for bringing awareness to new owners, otherwise I would have purchased the tune already. Now I'm waiting for more results to come in before I decide to pay $800 for both tune and plugs.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Someone posted a screenshot on the main Stinger forum from a Korean forum where a user still experienced a failure with the upgraded plugs, Korean fuel, and LAP3.

Just an FYI. Might want to be more cautious about advertising the plugs as a fix.
I will correct you on this one.

This cusomter you?re referring to was using the DUAL chip set up which we do not sell or support. Although it was reported, this type of situation doesn?t apply to our customers here since well... this option won?t be offered.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States

I'm having trouble finding the poll right now. Care to share a link?

I havent seen it yet but what's the say someone made the same mistake as you? Or someone with or without the chip voted. Just because a poll was created on a forum that anyone can join for free and vote doesnt mean it hard data dont you think?

I mean you voted incorrectly right? lol

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I'm having trouble finding the poll right now. Care to share a link?

I havent seen it yet but what's the say someone made the same mistake as you? Or someone with or without the chip voted. Just because a poll was created on a forum that anyone can join for free and vote doesnt mean it hard data dont you think?

I mean you voted incorrectly right? lol

This is true. However, in my case I'm blind, have fat fingers, and was using the forum on my phone, so everything was small and it was easy to hit the wrong button.

Here's the link: https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/th...enced-fouled-spark-plugs-on-their-Kia-Stinger

Off topic: You live in Raleigh? I thought you guys operated out of CA. I bought a couple of things from last year and they definitely shipped from CA. Have yall moved?

Memphis

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
This is true. However, in my case I'm blind, have fat fingers, and was using the forum on my phone, so everything was small and it was easy to hit the wrong button.

Here's the link: https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/th...enced-fouled-spark-plugs-on-their-Kia-Stinger

Off topic: You live in Raleigh? I thought you guys operated out of CA. I bought a couple of things from last year and they definitely shipped from CA. Have yall moved?
If they are a vendor they may ship directly from the supplier of the product they sale.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD

Perhaps this answers your question more completely: the chips being sold for the Stinger (2.0 & 3.3) have been out for years and used on other cars. LAP3 supposedly tested it's application on the Stinger. They are not specifically for the Stinger.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
Got the part in. Replace both the coil and spark plug. The vehicle drive perfect now.